Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Victoria Day Update- 100 Day Bone Marrow Analysis








Well, the hundred day marrow examination has finally been completed. We waited with anticipation and fingers crossed for this test. We just received the results a couple of days ago. The news was good. We were told that my marrow is identical to that of my donor's marrow. In the bone marrow aspirate analysis the lab compares a sample of my old marrow, the donor's marrow and my "new" marrow. The the ultimate goal of the stem cell transplant has been realized - to have my marrow completely replaced by the donor's stem cells.


As my marrow is still "young" and not mature, I still have to take precautions to protect myself in crowds and to be careful about what I eat. For the first year after transplant there are a number of restrictions on my activities. I have to avoid dust and moulds which means I can't vacuum or dig in the garden (I'm lobbying to have the ban on vacuuming extended for life!). Camping and tenting are on the restricted list so Kevin may have to break down and take the girls and I on a holiday with running water! (rivers don't qualify!) I am no longer required to be within an hour of the Bone Marrow Clinic at the Foothills Hospital. I will have to return to the clinic for regular blood tests and to be monitored for Graft vs Host disease. To this point my symptoms have been minimal and the effects on my eyes and lungs have been well controlled with medication.
After my marrow has had a chance to
mature I will require re-immunization with various childhood vaccines. These will be scheduled at one and two years post transplant.

Life is gradually returning to normal. Having been spoiled by all of the delicious meals that friends delivered to the house, the girls are appreciating how much time and thought went into those gifts. Meals have been somewhat less elaborate since we resumed cooking for ourselves. Erin and Ali have decided that Kevin, the "FFF" (Full -Figure-Father) doesn't need quite as many desserts as he was regularly enjoying over the past seven months. They have been suggesting that he has had more than his share of "comfort food" and that his profile is looking a little "over-comforted"!

Looking back over the past 7 months, we feel fortunate to have gone through this experience with so much support and help from so many friends. We truly could not have managed without the positive energy directed to us by so many people, near and far. This outcome is a reflection of the strength of all of you in 'our village'.

Sincerest thanks,

Sara, Kevin, Erin, Alison, and Mona




2 comments:

  1. Dear Team Tod,

    Great news! It's good to see Sara in full throttle again.

    All the best to you all,
    Andy, Jo Anne, and AJ
    Bangkok, Thailand

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I heard the 'sigh of relief' come straight over the hill. What good news. Enjoy the coming summer months..... they are coming.

    Wendy and Ward

    ReplyDelete